Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Review of "Wanted"

Boyfriend's Grade: A-

The movie has a pretty basic premise. But it is very interesting Wes(James McAvoy) is just your average joe stuck in a shitty job and hates his boring ass life. That all changes the day he meets Fox(Angelina Jolie) who informs him of the death of his father, who happens to be a super assassin, and invites him to join the 'Fraternity'(a clan of assassins). Sloan (Morgan Freeman) along with the rest of the Fraternity train him to be able to unlock his hidden powers in order to avenge his fathers death. Wes learns that the Fraternity lives by an unbreakable code to carry out death orders given by fate its self. As the movie goes along, Wes realizes that there is more than meets the eye to the Fraternity.

Now that's the basic overview. Pretty good plot and story line. There are really no hand to hand combat scenes in the movie except one. I would have liked to see more. Most of the action sequences are gun fights and driving scenes. They are very intense and vivid. The visual effects in this movie make it worth going to see. I happen to love graphics and visuals in movies. The only problem with the movie is that a lot of it is really way out there and hard to believe. James McAvoy does a great job in this lead role. Angelina Jolie also makes a great teacher and mentor to James' character. Not her best role, but she did a good job. I didn't see James as an action movie star, but he pulled it off rather well. There were some plot twists that I didn't expect, but made the deception of the movie come together rather well. I saw some of it coming, but I usually do. The major conflict twist I did not see. I was too caught up in the action sequences. I got about 90% of the ending correct, but did not expect the very last part. I do not see a sequel in the future. It does leave you wanting something though. That is my only complaint. It left me wanting more.

I did not go see this movie because Angelina Jolie was in it. I'm not a big fan of hers. She did make very good use of her facial expressions in this movie. She may not have said much, but her expressions said a lot. Morgan Freeman does a wonderful job of making the character his own as usual. A lot of the other characters in the movie were not US born. But their small roles played a big part. Bravo to them.

Now over all, This movie is about half action, and stunning visual effects. If you like a visually pleasing action movie that makes you think a little bit, this movie is for you. As long as you can get passed the lack of realism of much of the action, you are good to go. I give this movie an A-

They also need to include a don't try this at home warning for some of the things they do in this movie. I know some idiot is going to try one of the gun tricks and kill someone.

No comments: