Friday, July 11, 2008

Review of "Hellboy II"

Boyfriends Rating: A

I decided to see the midnight showing of Hellboy II tonight. Most sequels do not out-perform the original. This one did just that. The plot and story are very interesting. Helboy is back for round 2 this time. This time the Nazi's are not the enemy and they aren't trying to make him destroy the earth. There is a story of a pact between the supernatural realm and humans from long ago. This pact puts an army of unstoppable creatures to rest. One of the supernaturals exiles himself to only return when the time is right. He plans to awaken this army and bring hell to humankind once again and its Hellboy's job to stop him along with his expanding team at the Beaurea of Paranormal Research and Defense-Hellboy's firey girlfriend Liz (Selma Blair), big blue fish guy Abe (Doug Jones) and new boss/superior ectoplasmic german Johann(voiced by Seth MacFarlane). They travel between the fantasy and surface worlds to try to stop this army from being awakened.

Pretty basic plot right? Dont count on it. I just gave a generalized version. I dont want to give much away. It has several twists and turns that pop up and surprise you along the way. The visuals and character portrayels are very good in this movie. Action scenes were there but I thought to be not enough. I was happy with the way the scenes were done, but I wanted more fighting. You get your comical relief from Hellboy in this one as well. Gotta love the guy and his sense of humor. There wasnt much that I picked apart with this one. Of course I did notice a few things. But with supernatural/fantasy creatures, what is realistic Haha? Hellboy gets more out in the open this time, not so good at discreet is he?. This movie has a lot in common with Hancock. Superhero that isnt always clean about the way he does his job, but he gets it done. The public fears and hates him just the same. Save humanity and they still hate you. Geeze, why do it? Well that happens to be a small internal conflict with Hellboy in this one. It didnt seem like he contemplated giving up on them too much, but you can tell he does. The big lug has a heart Haha. The story gets you pretty enveloped with it. There was plenty of good acting to fill in the parts between the action scenes. Dont be expecting an all out brawl movie with this one. But do Enjoy it.

Rob did a great job with Hellboy again. Selma does a decent job at Liz this time around. She is pretty much just backup to Hellboy, but she pulled off what her character called for. Doug and Seth do good jobs with their roles in this movie. Luke Goss does a great job as the main antagonist in the typical martial arts style that is normally portrayed by Jet Li, but fit his role very well. I thought he did splendid as the villian of this movie.

This is a good SciFi film. Wonderful visuals throughout with very good acting and comedy inbetween the action scenes. Definitely a good flick. Not as many fight scenes as I would have liked, but what I got was good. No complaints otherwise. Like I said, I laughed a good bit during the whole thing. Check it out if you liked the first one, you should like this one more. Well worth it IMO.

2 comments:

Musns said...

Friend of mine saw it (I have to wait until a)$$ and b)no kids) so I'm in a pending status on several movies).

Point being, he said to me, "It's not what you're expecting." Did you feel that way about it?

AR's Boyfriend said...

Honestly, I didnt know what I was expecting when going in. I knew it was gonna be Hellboy saving the earth, but what actually came up, did surprise me by who the bad guys were. It was still an awesome movie.