Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Review of "Dark Knight"

Boyfriends Rating: A++

Well, I have seen this movie twice now. Just been a bit busy to write a review. I will say this, the movie is bad ass. Definitely worth seeing over and over. Possibly one of the best movies ever. It was just awesome.

Batman(Christian Bale again in his awesome portrayal) is back. He is teamed up with Lt. Gorden(Gary Oldman) and gains some help from the new District Attorney, Harvey Dent(Aaron Eckhart), to start cleaning up Gotham's streets. Together they start to make a great difference and deal blow after blow to the seedy underbelly of Gotham. That is, until Batman's Greatest Nemesis, The Joker(Heath Ledger), decides he wants to play his sick, twisted games with the city of Gotham. Pretty simple plot line. Most people know how this Batman story goes if they saw "Batman Begins". This is a darker batman than the regular comic book variety.

I must say again and again, this movie was amazing. Plenty of action sequences for you action lovers. Lots of suspense to keep you guessing what was going to happen next. And you will get a good chuckle out of some parts of it. The plot is held together really well. Not much for me to pick apart after I left the theatre. There were some things in it that I knew were coming due to me being familiar with Batman characters. I didn't walk out of there saying "I saw that coming". Always good in my books. There are a couple of misleading things where after watching it twice and thinking about it, that I think will be a good surprise if they make another. At first I was a little annoyed because that's not how it was supposed to be. But if you catch what I'm talking about, think about it. Its at the end of the movie. I liked just about everything about this movie. Everything was well done throughout.

Bale does it again as Batman. This is my new favorite Batman. He does a stand up job with this role. Maggie Gyllenhaal takes over the role of Rachel Dawes in this one. She may not look like Holmes, but she did a good job taking over the role. Eckhart does a great job as Harvey Dent. Great role for him to play. Oldman plays a pretty decent Gordan again. Morgan Freeman does a great job again as Lucious Fox again. I love how he portrays Fox. Wonderful. You don't think I left out Heath Ledger as Joker do you? Of course not, I saved the best for last. He did a beautiful job as the joker. He made the role his own. After watching the movie, I understand why he couldn't sleep and ended up having problems with himself. He absorbed himself in the Joker. He became the Joker through and through. He will receive awards for this role, and be praised for years to come for his portrayal. Just wow.

All in all, One of the best comic book based movies I have ever seen. Like I have said, one of the best movies ever. The visuals and action sequences are outstanding. The characters hold together really well and you don't get bored waiting for something to happen. Not a movie for most kiddo's but definitely a must see. If you only see one movie this year, see this one. Word of warning though, use the restroom and smoke if you need to before you get there. This flick is over the 2 1/2 hour mark. Its a long one, so sit back, relax, and enjoy. I promise you will. This is my must see pick of the summer.

6 comments:

KBear said...

I still haven't seen it (I have NO tolerance for line ups) but I must say the trailers have been amazing.

I've heard a lot of people say that he did better than Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Joker. I disagree, because Heath Ledger took a different avenue than Nicholson did. They both portrayed their characters amazingly well, and I don't think they wanted the first one as dark as this one. Two different portrayals of the same movie. Make sense?

How do you feel when people say that? For sake of curiousity, do you agree or disagree?

AR's Boyfriend said...

Oh I agree. Heath Ledger couldnt have done the Joker that Nicholson did. They were both great at the roles they played. I agree completely with your point.

KBear said...

ok, so I saw this last night. you're right. There's no way he could play the Joker any other way. It was amazingly done, dark and freaky. I liked how his makeup wasn't so perfect. i think though, Jack Nicholson's character was burned or something happened to his face and he got it "fixed" i like how this guy is just a freak.

this, is a movie that can totally be taken to another level, and i like how they left it open enough for another. i just don't think they'll get anyone to play the joker as well as Heath Ledger, but there's a rumour the next one is joker and riddler.

have you heard that, or anything different?

Musns said...

Only two +'s after the A?!

I loved the way the Joker is just a gleeful sadistic villan. Best movie of the year imo.

I want to share what a friend said - but it's one of those statements that make your jaw drop and you say ...wow..did you just fucking say that?...

so mayhaps I shan't repeat it in a public place.

AR's Boyfriend said...

kbear:Yea, He did amazing.

Yes, It can be taken to another level completely. I have discussed them continuing and being able to use the joker again. They could possibly find someone who can dress up like him and synthesize the voice. They may not be able to have any big roles for him, but its possible. They wont play Joker as well as Ledger, but they dont have to cut him out completely.

I have not heard anything about the next one. I could research some and figure out where the story line goes, but its only kinda based off of a set of batman comics.

musns:I didnt want to go too insane with the +'s. But it is one of the best movies this year that I have seen. It was amazing. He was gleeful and sadistic. It was perfect.

You can share what your friend said. I do not mind.

Musns said...

His comment was "Ledger died because he'd never be able to top this performance."

My response to him (I hadn't seen the movie yet) was "Just...fucking WOW." Then I saw it and agreed - best performance ever.

I personally hope that they don't try to do another movie with The Joker for at least another 10 years.